huge memory allocation

Donald Allen dona at milton.u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 9 02:21:32 AEST 1991

I am trying to run an application process which requires an allocation
of about 150M of memory, but am unable to do so.  The largest amount
of memory I have been able to get a single process to successfully
acquire (using calloc or malloc, with either one or multiple calls)
is about 33M; any larger request has NULL returned.  However, I can
launch several applications simultaneously each of which acquire
33M; so, it doesn't appear to be a limit on my account.

The system is an RS6000/530 with 48M memory installed, running AIX 3.1.
There is 200M of paging space declared, and before running the
application, about 180M of paging space is free.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-- Don Allen