REMOTEHOST

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Thu Mar 28 09:53:36 AEST 1991

In article <27EF7131.3C9B at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca:
>>However, owing to the BUG in 'who' (which lists users who have already
>>logoff'ed and so in the list there are entries with same tty number) ...
>>Is this bug fixed in 3003?
>
>Sadly, no.  We're at 3003 build 18 and the who bug is still there.

I'm certain that you can find the utmp file cleanerupper that I posted
in alt.sources last winter.  Failling that, you can fix your utmp file
by scanning the file for "USER_PROCESS" entries with ut_pid fields that
do not have processes associated with them.  Change the ut_type field
to "DEAD_PROCESS" and zero out a few other fields in the (struct utmp)
and then write that structure back out.  This will fix the problem for
now.

As for why there are entries with the same tty name, I've never seen
that one.  Sounds like another problem altogether as the application
should look to see if there is already an entry and use that one if it
exists rather than appending a new one.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ