UUCP using V.32 or HST modem connections

Jim Kimble jkimble at unislc.uucp
Thu Mar 28 21:09:56 AEST 1991

In article <...> crum at fcom.cc.utah.edu (Gary Crum) writes:
>Would anyone care to share stories (problems or success reports) about
>using AIX 3.1 BNU (UUCP), especially with 9600bps or faster modems?  I
>have had a few problems with a cross-country BNU link between a couple
>RISC System/6000 computers using Courier HST Dual Standard modems.
>Throughput is around 1500bps, and connections are frequently broken.

I'm the dork who did the port of BNU UUCP to the RS/6000 while contracting
at IBM Austin.  For grins and giggles, I connected a couple TrailBlazers
(T1500s, I believe) and did some throughput measurements.  My figures
between two RS/6000's were a *lot* better than 1500bps but didn't compare
to the figures my friends/neighbors were seeing between NCR Towers, DELL
boxes, and TI BS1500s.

The real killer is connecting to an IBM RT because VRM had a nasty problem
with high-speed UUCP connections overflowing the i/o buffers -- consequently
VRM handled the overflow by sending either a SIGHUP or SIGINT to uucico
which caused the connection to die for mysterious reasons...  The "fix" for
that APAR was to slow down uucico rather than speed up VRM.  No shit.

What's your system configuration?  What else is running on the system (number
of users, applications, etc)?

DISCLAIMER:  This article does not represent the thoughts of *any* company
or even those of a sane mind.  Use them at your risk.

--Jim Kimble,					   jkimble at bally.bally.com
Yet Another UNIX Insultant			     sun!unislc!jkimble

"ALPO is 99 cents a can.  That's over SEVEN dog dollars!"