UUCP using V.32 or HST modem connections

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.UUCP
Wed Mar 27 03:22:27 AEST 1991

In article <CRUM.91Mar20185927 at fcom.cc.utah.edu> crum at fcom.cc.utah.edu (Gary Crum) writes:
>Would anyone care to share stories (problems or success reports) about
>using AIX 3.1 BNU (UUCP), especially with 9600bps or faster modems?  I
>have had a few problems with a cross-country BNU link between a couple
>RISC System/6000 computers using Courier HST Dual Standard modems.
>Throughput is around 1500bps, and connections are frequently broken.
>That's with a recently installed 3.1.2 release of AIX -- I'm not sure
>what week-format version number I'm using.

Get the 3003 update and apply it to your system.  There were several tty
bugs that are now fixed, and several uucico/uucp/uux bugs that were fixed
in the newer updates.  I have previously posted articles about setting up
modems on the RS, so you can either get the old article from an archive
or mail me directly and I will send you a description.

>Also, has anyone used SLIP for file transfers, especially using the
>dialout feature of slattach?  How about BNU (UUCP) on top of SLIP

I have used it, and it is broken also until 3004.  The major problem was with
multiple slip connections, so if you only have 1, it should work OK.  BTW,
I had to do it manually to get it to work.  SMIT always gave me too many
other problems.

Mail me if you need help with this.

>connection?  Can BNU be configured to establish SLIP connections before
>trying to do TCP UUCP transfers?

Why would you want to do this?  Why don't you just use rcp or something?

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |