Xwindows hang

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Mon Mar 11 18:31:03 AEST 1991

Well, after 8 weeks we've finally got 3003, and can use the hft on our 730.
My bosses' initial impressions of the development environment are very
favourable, much better (and faster) than the Silicon Graphics he last used.
We have struck a major snag with the demos supplied by IBM, where a few of
them hang the hft (we're remembering which ones not to try again *B^). My
problem is getting it back to life, the only solution so far is to reboot
the system. Specifically, /usr/lpp/X11/bin/X is clocking up vast amounts of
cpu time, and sometimes the process can not even be killed, although all the
other user processes can be. Regardless, the hft is not subsequently useable.
I have reported a configuration error with the graphics IO card (gio) which
appeared after applying 3003, the lighted function keys all light up when
Xwindows starts and stay lit - could these be related?  Any ideas on
restoring the hft without rebooting would be appreciated.
Also, could someone satisfy my curiosity on the '0xbadfca11' which
appears as a function parameter when using xde?  We are only just learning
to use xde but this one's taken my fancy - it's implications are fairly
obvious but what exactly does it tell us? (Fortran programs which ran on SGi
machines are crashing with segmentation errors).  Info is silent (as usual).
Thanks
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits