Page Space Problems

Barbara La Scala bfls at cain.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 14 15:22:56 AEST 1991

I think this has been mentioned before but (like a fool) I didn't take note
of it.  I was attempting to compile an ordinary sized program only to have
my compilation abort with the error message

 1501-229 Compilation ended due to lack of space

After much searching around I discovered (in /usr/lpp/xlc/bin/README.xlc)
that this error message means the system has run out of page space.  The "lsps"
command, which lists the attributes of your paging space, shows that 83% of my
32MB swap space is used, even though I'm not running any large programs.  In
fact according to the output from ps, the only process which is using a
significant amount of memory is the swapper, which is using around 50% of
memory!  Is this normal? (I can't find any info on "swapper" in InfoExplorer).
Assuming it isn't, is there any way (short of a reboot) I can free up my swap
space?

Help!

Barbara La Scala		Internet: bfls at cain.anu.edu.au
Australian National University