Page Space Problems

Jeff Peek ransom at perelandra.austin.ibm.com
Fri Mar 15 00:23:34 AEST 1991

In article <BFLS.91Mar14152256 at cain.anu.edu.au> bfls at cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:
>In fact according to the output from ps, the only process which is using a
>significant amount of memory is the swapper, which is using around 50% of
>memory!  Is this normal? (I can't find any info on "swapper" in InfoExplorer).
The swapper is a kernel process running in kernel mode. The data that ps is displaying
is actually the size of the kernel segment. Now, why the kernel is so large depends
on what subsystem you had running, i.e., TCP/IP, NFS, SNA, etc. Also, it depends
on what level of OS you are running, i.e., 3001, etal.
>Assuming it isn't, is there any way (short of a reboot) I can free up my swap
>space?
Stopping and restarting the subsystems should clean up and extra space they were
using. How much memory do you have?

>Help!
>
>Barbara La Scala		Internet: bfls at cain.anu.edu.au
>Australian National University

Jeff Peek
AIX Operating System Architecture -- IBM Personal Systems Programiming
ransom at perelandra.austin.ibm.com 	VNET PEEK at AUSVMQ T/L 793-3935
Austin, TX