huge memory allocation

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at dk.oracle.com
Tue Mar 12 22:30:02 AEST 1991

Article <1991Mar10.180433.24685 at nrcnet0.nrc.ca> by ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca says:
|According to what I've been told by the IBM tech hot line (from Toronto,
|Canada), all those User Characteristics (quotas) of SMIT are for future
|expansion only; none of them are currently enforced. I wish they are wrong.
They are (at least on 3.1.1 (== 3003 update)):

Script started on Tue Mar 12 12:23:16 1991
$ ulimit -a
time(seconds)    99999
file(blocks)     99999
data(kbytes)     50000
stack(kbytes)    50000
memory(kbytes)   50000
coredump(blocks) 99999
$ cc -o zz -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc
0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected:
                 Symbols in error (followed by references) are
                 dumped to the load map.
.main
$ ulimit -d 4096
$ cc -o zz -lc -lc -lc -lc -lc
xlc: 1501-227 unable to reset ulimit
0706-103 ERROR:  BUMP:  Allocation of 1746580 bytes failed.
                 There is not enough memory available now.
                 Please try again later or use local
                 problem reporting procedures.
$ ^D

script done on Tue Mar 12 12:24:22 1991