huge memory allocation

dona at pooky.engr.washington.edu dona at pooky.engr.washington.edu
Tue Mar 12 02:02:41 AEST 1991

In article <18016 at milton.u.washington.edu> dona at pooky.ee.washington.edu (Don Allen) writes:
>I am trying to run an application process which requires an allocation
>of about 150M of memory, but am unable to do so.  The largest amount
>of memory I have been able to get a single process to successfully
>acquire (using calloc or malloc, with either one or multiple calls)
>is about 33M; any larger request has NULL returned.

The problem was that there was a soft limit on the maximum amount
of data memory that a process could use; this limit is defined in
/etc/security/limits.  By running the shell command "unlimit" in the
shell before running the application, the soft limit is removed, and
the application can allocate the memory successfully.  Thanks to all
who helped.

-- Don Allen