Third-party CD readers for RS6000?

Kenneth P. Bowman bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 8 05:49:44 AEST 1991

There has been some discussion about third-party memory and disk drives
for the RS6000 (I have a Wren drive on my 320), but I haven't seen
anything about CD readers.  The IBM CD reader seems rather expensive (it's
even more than Apple's!), even with a university discount.

Does anyone have experience with third party CD readers, or are they like
the IBM 8mm tape drive, which I gather has been customized for
the 6000, making third-party tape drives difficult to use?

If I receive any useful responses, I will try to summarize.

Ken Bowman

P.S.  I know that my local IBM SE reads this newsgroup.  Sorry Bob, but I
thought I should check.

Dr. Kenneth P. Bowman, Assistant Professor     bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign     bowman at uiucvmd.bitnet
Department of Atmospheric Sciences             217-333-7105
105 S. Gregory Avenue                          217-244-4393 fax
Urbana, IL   61801