cisco terminal server and RISC/6000

gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Thu Mar 14 08:19:51 AEST 1991

Hi

We have a strange problem when connecting from a cisco terminal server to
RISC/6000. Soon after the first upgrade to 03.01.0000.0000, we began seeing
this problem. Basically, the user will get the connection established, but
won't see anything on the screen. On the RISC/6000, there will be a telnetd
running. The user has to escape out to the terminal server prompt and close the
connection. We did call the software defects to report this and we were told
that they knew about this problem and that I should simply replace the telnetd
from 03.01.0000.0000 for now. Luckily we have three machines and one of them
was still not updayed, so it was easy. We now applied the 3003 update and had
the same problem. Putting back the old telnetd works fine. The details on the
cisco terminal server are:

ASM/AGS Monitor, Version 2.1(22), copyright (c) 1987, cisco Systems
ASM/AGS System, Version 6.0(1), compiled Mon 06-Apr-87 12:01
Copyright (c) 1987, cisco Systems
ts1 boot time unavailable, running default software

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any help is appreciated. Also, if you are in
similar circuimstances and want to play it safe, make a copy of the old telnetd
before the upgrade. It might help.

Ravi