SMIT flame (Was: Re: hanging telnets and ftps)

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at dk.oracle.com
Thu Mar 7 01:31:03 AEST 1991

Article <1991Mar5.144807.7171 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> by graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Graeme Moffat) says:
|*Flame on*
|This is another example of smit (I know, it's only a command interface)
|doing unknown things behind my back. My previous unix administration
|experience is zilch, and I have a lot to learn, but I can read manuals (if
|we had any *B^(, and I don't want things hidden away in the bowels of some
|festering object database, I want to know exactly what I have configured so
|I can take it away again if it's not right.   etc.  etc.

It simply isn't fair.  IBM has seriously rethought quite a lot of the obscure
(sorry) Unix system administration, covered it all under a common interface,
changed tedious configuration procedures, often involving reboots, given us
a powerful and flexible but still comprehensible operating system.  It is
indeed often different from what Unix used to be, but the traditional Unix
administration is far behind AIX 3.1.  As in all software, there might be
bugs, but I know from experience that IBM will listen to you and fix and
improve things.  And if there still are grey areas where it can be hard to
know if SMIT will do it or you need to use the traditional approach, I am
pretty sure IBM will straitghten it out.  Your input could be very valueable
here.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl