Wordprocessor for RS/6000?

Ronald S Woan woan at nowhere
Wed Mar 20 08:00:43 AEST 1991

wostner at garnet.berkeley.edu (Ulf Wostner) writes:
Ulf> Our math dept needs a wordprocessor for the RS/6000. It should
Ulf> have the usual stuff that you find in, say, MS Word, and
Ulf> hopefully better handling of math formulas.

Hmm... Word Perfect is out for AIX 3.1...

Ulf> Has anyone gotten MS Word to work in pcsim (or anything else that
Ulf> uses VGA, EGA or CGA) ?

Seen Flight Simulator, and I think someone was running Windows 3.0 in
real mode... Anyways, the answer is yes, just read the documentation
info.

Ulf> FrameMaker provides features we don't really need, but might be
Ulf> OK if it did not pin large amounts of RAM. We have a finite
Ulf> amount of RAM (and money), and will have many of our 12
Ulf> X-stations running simultaneously with Mathematica and the
Ulf> elusive wordprocessor.

Interleaf has ported to AIX 3.1... Didn't they have a deal for
Universities, i.e. free license and just charge for the initial
distribution media (or was that only for their Sun version)?

The new word processor Asterix for the Sun is being ported over to AIX
3.1... I talked to them (I forgot the company's name) in January's
Uniforum and they said it should be ready by early summer.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin at iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +