.Xdefaults not being used - Solution

Steve Roseman lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Thu Mar 14 23:58:59 AEST 1991

In article <220.27dd0253 at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu>, lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:

> Has anyone else noticed that in X-Windows after updating to 3003, .Xdefaults
> seem to stop being used after a while?  Things work for a few hours, I run
> normal programs, but then I bring up emacs (for which I have a line
> 'emacs*Font : Rom14') and it's back to default font.  In addition, every
> other program's .Xdefaults seem to be ignored.  Killing X (Ctrl/Alt/Bksp) and
> restarting restores things.  Is this common and to be reported, or am I doing
> something strange?

And the answer is:

	In 3003, file /usr/bin/info, line 54 should be 'xmodmap $KEYFILE', not
'xrdb $KEYFILE'.  The problem had been reported to IBM defect support.  Thanks
to those who responded with suggestions (especially Tejas Desai of Intel), but
"IBM had it now!" (both the bug and solution.)

Steve