.Xdefaults not being used

Ed Kubaitis - CSO ejk at ux2.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 14 22:17:29 AEST 1991

  >Has anyone else noticed that in X-Windows after updating to 3003, .Xdefaults
  >seem to stop being used after a while?  Things work for a few hours, ...

Perhaps until you happen to use InfoExplorer? If so, here's the story: Info's
front-end shellscript does an 'xrdb' which wipes out your resource definitions
for all subsequently invoked clients. Circumvention is to comment out the
'xrdb $KEYFILE' in /usr/bin/info.

This problem has been reported as APAR IX16234 which suggests editing the
script to change xrdb to xmodmap, apparently what was intended. Info also
alters the server font paths which creates problems for some non-IBM servers
such as NCD & HP (APAR IX16886).

IMHO the real problem is clients have no business tampering with font paths,
key definitions, resource database, or other server items. Only users or
session managers acting on the user's behalf should modify them. At the very
least, Info's tampering should be clearly documented and an option provided
to bypass it. (Note: I really *like* InfoExplorer. I just find it's behavior
arrogant in this regard.)