Moby Swapper (was: Page Space Problems)

Dewey Paciaffi eddjp at edi386.UUCP
Sat Mar 16 00:37:10 AEST 1991

In article <5912 at awdprime.UUCP> ransom at perelandra.austin.ibm.com (Jeff Peek) writes:
-In article <BFLS.91Mar14152256 at cain.anu.edu.au> bfls at cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:
->In fact according to the output from ps, the only process which is using a
->significant amount of memory is the swapper, which is using around 50% of
->memory!  Is this normal? (I can't find any info on "swapper" in InfoExplorer).

-The swapper is a kernel process running in kernel mode.
-The data that ps is displaying
-is actually the size of the kernel segment. Now, why the kernel is so
-large depends
-on what subsystem you had running, i.e., TCP/IP, NFS, SNA, etc.
-Also, it depends on what level of OS you are running, i.e., 3001, etal.

I have a Model 320, 16 MB memory, running TCP/IP and NFS. I'm still
running 3002 ;-). My ps reports that the swapper runs about 8MB most of
the time.  Are you saying that it's my kernel that is actually taking up
half of my real memory? Does anybody know why this is? Is this going to
be fixed? How big is the swapper on a 64 MB system?
--
Dewey Paciaffi           ...!uunet!edi386!eddjp