UUCP using V.32 or HST modem connections

Gary Crum crum at fcom.cc.utah.edu
Thu Mar 21 10:59:27 AEST 1991

Would anyone care to share stories (problems or success reports) about
using AIX 3.1 BNU (UUCP), especially with 9600bps or faster modems?  I
have had a few problems with a cross-country BNU link between a couple
RISC System/6000 computers using Courier HST Dual Standard modems.
Throughput is around 1500bps, and connections are frequently broken.
That's with a recently installed 3.1.2 release of AIX -- I'm not sure
what week-format version number I'm using.

Also, has anyone used SLIP for file transfers, especially using the
dialout feature of slattach?  How about BNU (UUCP) on top of SLIP
connection?  Can BNU be configured to establish SLIP connections before
trying to do TCP UUCP transfers?

Just wondering if there's much experience out there on the net with these
issues -- before I try to talk to Austin about it.

Gary