BASH and GCC

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Thu Mar 7 04:44:54 AEST 1991

In article <5737 at awdprime.UUCP> marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com
(Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22) writes:

>There may have been some time during development of AIX 3.1 where it was
>necessary to build the system unoptimized, but I could not verify that.
>This has certainly not been the case for any version of AIX 3.1 which has
>been available to the general public.

The reports we read in this forum last year said that the first fully
optimized AIX 3.1 was pre-release build 9019 from last May, about a
month before GA.

The presentations I've seen and articles I've read on the S/6000
suggest that gcc will never be really efficient on these systems unless
someone creates a back end and an optimizer for it that really
understand the architecture.  My feeling is that gcc's place in the
world is not as the be-all and end-all of C compilers, but as a
relatively bug-free reference implementation that people can use as a
sanity check for other compilers (and for a stop-gap when the others fail).

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000