saving windows layout

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at locus.com
Fri Mar 22 01:36:22 AEST 1991

In article <9423 at cognos.UUCP> paulh at cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
>With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
>the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
> .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
>how to tell xinit that
>
>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

These are mwm resources.  In your .Xdefaults file, use:

Mwm*XClock.clientDecorations:  -all
Mwm*XBiff.clientDecorations:   -all

>    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
>      icons rather than open windows

xdt -iconic seems to work ok.

>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>      machine during initialization

aixterm -e rsh hostname

>Excuse me if the question seems silly or the answer is obvious;

Excuse my answering these questions without the benefit of an RS/6000.
Is xinit a shell script or a binary under AIX 3.1 ?  If it's a script
(yech) you can copy it and edit to your hearts desire.  If it's the
original xinit binary, you can create a shell script that does all your
startup work for you and type "xinit /bin/sh scriptName".  Just make
sure that the last thing in the script doesn't exit, because your X
session will end too.

>I'm new to AIX and windows.
>This sort of thing is easy using SUN's window manager. I can't
>get the info explorer to divulge how or whether it's possible on AIX.

>Paul Hays                Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707

Rich
--
                  Richard Pettit         Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
            "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not LCC."