saving windows layout

Ronald S Woan woan at nowhere
Fri Mar 22 01:03:45 AEST 1991

In article <9423 at cognos.UUCP> paulh at cognos.UUCP (Paul Hays) writes:
>With the motif window manager and X windows, AIX lets me organize
>the initial layout of icons and windows using files .Xdefaults and
> .xinitrc, to some extent. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
>how to tell xinit that

Well some of this is handled by .Xdefaults...

>    o the xclock and xbiff icons should have no decorations

Don't use mwm, but these lines in ~/.Xdefaults might do it:
Mwm*xclock*clientDecoration: -all
Mwm*xbiff*clientDecoration: -all

>    o the info program and desktop program should initially be
>      icons rather than open windows

I don't think it is possible with info, but you can invoke Xdesktop
with "xdt -iconic" or set the resource in ~/.Xdefaults.

>    o one aixterm window should log on to a specified remote
>      machine during initialization

add:
aixterm -e 'rlogin hostname -l userid' &
or something to that effect in your ~/.xinitrc file...

It might be worthwhile getting one of the OSF books on Motif if you
want to know more about using mwm.
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan at cactus.org or woan at austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +