Retrieving hard disk space

Dwight Tovey dwight at locus.com
Wed Mar 20 02:30:07 AEST 1991

In article <11997 at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>I just installed an update to AIX 1.2 on a PS/2 and seem to have lost well
>over 10 megabytes of precious disk space in the process.  Seems that there are
>some big files in /usr/lpp.save.
>
>Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if
>I don't (or can't) uninstall anything?  Incidentally, why doesn't uninst work
>like the manual says it's supposed to?
>
>If I can get rid of some of these files, which ones can I dump safely without
>jeapardizing future installp's and updatep's?  Are there other obscure files
>that I should target for removal?
>
>Would appreciate any help on this as I am running very low on disk space.
>
>Antonio Querubin
>tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

If you look in the directory '/etc/lpp' you will find a shell script called
'cleanup'.  This script will allow you to move the 'lpp.save' files to a
backup device, and recover some of your disk space.

You will probably only need to keep some of these files around after you do
an updatep that you may later want to uncommit/reject.  These files allow
updatep to restore your system to the way it was before you applied the PTF.
You can still remove these files after the update (using 'cleanup'), just
make sure you save the backup tape so you can put them back later.

One of the reasons uninst doesn't work is because of some cross-lpp
dependencies.  There are a few lpps that install the same files, so if
you uninstall one of the lpps, you will break the others by removing these
multiply installed files.
	/dwight

--
	Dwight Tovey
	dwight at locus.com
The views I express are entirely my own and do not in any way represent
those of Locus Computing.