Retrieving hard disk space

Antonio Querubin tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 21 15:22:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar20.154507.1002569 at locus.com> richp at locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
>In article <11997 at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>>some big files in /usr/lpp.save.
>>
>>Just how necessary is it to keep these files around, especially if
>
>If you're asking the manual, don't delete them.  If you're asking me (one
>who is running 1.2.1 in 140 *very precious* megabytes of disk space) anytime
>I do an updatep, I cd /usr/lpp.save as root and /bin/rm -f [0-9]*/* to reclaim
>space.  I just take the "there's no going back" approach.

I've only got 120 *extremely precious* megabytes so I'm looking at the 'no
going back' approach seriously.  Suppose I follow this, what happens when I
have to do a second updatep on an LPP?  Will updatep require the same
information that uninst requires?

With the way AIX handles LPP installs and updates, you'd think that it's all
a plot to get you to buy a bigger disk drive!

An incidental question:  Are the man files available in nroff format?  Seems
like you could gain a little bit of space back by getting rid of the formatted
versions of the man files.

Antonio Querubin
tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu