REMOTEHOST

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Thu Mar 21 09:53:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar20.185405.5746 at nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
>In AIX/RS6000, is there a way to find out from where you are actually
>login'ed ? In other unix like Iris, there is conveniently a shell
>variable REMOTEHOST set for you. However I can't find anything equivalent
>in aix.

You can get this information either from /etc/utmp (if you are looking
for a C solution) or straight out of the "who" command if shell will
do for you.

This is what I get on this machine -

% who | grep jfh
jfh         pts/9       Mar 20 16:01          (snowball.austin.)

Regrettably you don't get all of it because the u_host field is only
16 characters long.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ