REMOTEHOST

David L. Crow crow at waterloo.austin.ibm.com
Fri Mar 22 05:59:16 AEST 1991

>In AIX/RS6000, is there a way to find out from where you are actually
>login'ed ?

    Following is the solution that I use for determining the host that
  I have logged in from.  It is an all-shell solution that I use on a
  server for InfoExplorer so that the graphics version can be displayed
  on the X-Server from which you login.

# The first statement sets the TTY variable to be what is returned from
#    the 'tty' command without the /dev/  ie if tty returned '/dev/pty/3',
#    then all we want is 'pty/3'
# The second statement determines the display name for X to use.  I use
#    who to determine which machine we are coming from.  We grep on the tty
#    found in the previous step.  The awk gets the last item on the line
#    (i.e. the hostname).  The last item is of the form (host.domain...).  The
#    sed will strip the parenthesis and the domain leaving only the hostname.
#    Then we append the ":0" to make it the display name.

TTY=$(tty | sed 's/\/dev\///')
DISPLAY=$(who | grep $TTY | awk '{print $NF}' | sed
's/(\([a-zA-Z0-9_]*\).*/\1/'):0
export TTY DISPLAY

    All that you should have to change is to take the ":0" off the end of the
  DISPLAY assignment statement and maybe change the name to something more
  meanningful like FROMHOST.

    I don't claim that this is the best or only solution.  It is one that I
  came up with on the fly and it seems to work very well.  The only problem
  that I have add is if the machine that you are logging in to cannot do
  internet ID to hostname translation correctly (ie the host is not defined
  in /etc/hosts or on the nameserver), then the value for DISPLAY will be
  set to the first octet of the internet address appended to ":0" since I
  use the period as a delimiter.

    If you have any questions feel free to ask (either by post or email).

 - This is only an exhibition, not a competition, so please....no wagering. -
  David Crow        (512) 823-4834    IBM VNET: dlcrow at austin
  AIX Systems Graphics Development    Internet: crow at waterloo.austin.ibm.com
 ------ Any opinions expressed are those of me and not of my employer. ------