Making A request to IBM (Was: Re: How does one compile to assembly?)

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Tue Mar 19 13:02:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.195902.9588 at mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d5peteg at dtek.chalmers.se (Peter Gustafsson) writes:
>>  i'd be much more likely to report bugs if i could mail them in (via
	[...]
>>  yes, an e-mail bug address would be very nice.  thanks for listening.
>						wohler at sap-ag.de
	[...]
>After some time I convinced some of the persons at IBM that I
>deal with daily to get acces to the internet-world... Via some gateway
>on the other side of the world (and it works) But the AIX Competence
>Guys can't understand why, and some of them never heard of this net!

I believe this whole concept of system support over the Internet has come
up a couple of times before.  The pro's being:

	You're hooked up, and IBM's hooked up, so why not?

	Speed.

	If you find a problem, you're much more likely to type up a quick
	message and include the problem file, than call some 800-number and
	be expected to accurately describe it over the phone.

There are cons, also:

	There is some *written* rule that the Internet is not supposed to
	do business using it's lines.  (Don't know the official statement
	on this, I think one of the news.admin groups has more information.)

	Not *everyone* is hooked up to the Internet, so you deal with a
	form of favoritism (minor, but it does exist).

	There are others, I'm sure.....

If someone could post the *official* restraints on using the Internet for
business, that might help.  And it could then go in the FAQ, right??? :-)

>Hope that someone at IBM are listening...

There's not much that can be done.

>      /Peter Gustafsson
>       Chalmers Workstation Centre
>       Gothenburg Universities' Computing Centre

Note: this is my *opinion* only.  Thoughts of me representing IBM in this
matter should not be inferred, referred, incurred, submerged, or expurged.  :-)

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.