Retrieving hard disk space

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at locus.com
Fri Mar 22 01:35:28 AEST 1991

>I've only got 120 *extremely precious* megabytes so I'm looking at the 'no
>going back' approach seriously.  Suppose I follow this, what happens when I
>have to do a second updatep on an LPP?  Will updatep require the same
>information that uninst requires?

Nope.  Updatep will just use the /usr/lpp.save/pointer file to figure out
where to put the next backup.  The files I *would not* delete are /etc/lpp/ghf
and /usr/lpp.save/ercv/lpp.ghf.

>With the way AIX handles LPP installs and updates, you'd think that it's all
>a plot to get you to buy a bigger disk drive!

IBM - Install Bigger Media :-)

>An incidental question:  Are the man files available in nroff format?  Seems
>like you could gain a little bit of space back by getting rid of the formatted
>versions of the man files.

Unfortunately no.  There are kept in orignal source form in "storybook" or
"picturebook" or "some-stupidbook" format.  The same as delivered.

As an aside, 1.2.1 takes up less space than 1.2.0.  I went from 1.1 to 1.2.1
because I felt it was up to the task of the pounding I can give an OS.  So
far, no major complaints.  And Ahhh, NFS, rpc, yp.  Toys.

>Antonio Querubin
>tony at uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

Rich
--
                  Richard Pettit         Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
            "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not LCC."