MS-DOS

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Sat Mar 2 06:12:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.155715.16544 at Think.COM> unger at think.com (Leo Unger) writes:
>I have some questions regarding MS-DOS and AIX:
>
>What possibilities exist to run MS-DOS programs under AIX
>on a RS6000 system?

Yes, if you purchase the PC Simulator product.  This product gives you an
emulator that is based on the AT (80286 processor)

>What MS-DOS emulators are available?

See above, runs PC-DOS 3.3

>What kind of performance can be expected?

Depends on what the application is.  If its a heavy duty number cruncher, then
the performance has been quoted at a 16Mhz 80386 (read in one of the trade
magazines).  If your application is VGA, then the performance is along the
lines of a 12Mhz 80286.  The difference is that all the display hardware that
you get when you buy a VGA card is being emulated in software.

>How much installation effort is needed?

Little if any.  Just install the Simulator product and follow the instructions
as to how to configure it, and you're off...

>       Thanks for any information
>
>-Leo

No problem.

jerry
Jerry Heyman                         IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
PSP Development Environment Tools    VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
Austin, TX  78758                    T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's