Volume groups problem...

Dave Beedle dbeedle at ux1.cts.eiu.edu
Fri Mar 1 01:30:52 AEST 1991

     Hi all!  We recently had some trouble with our rs6000/530 and had to
reinstall the thing from scratch (the original floppies...all 78 of 'em).
I also restored some stuff from other backup tapes including the /usr
subdirectory, the /etc subdirectory and the /u subdirectory; to catch up
with where we were before our problems.
     Anyway, I've still got one problem with the volume group.  When I boot
I get measseges saying :  lvaryon: the volume group cannot be varied on
because there are no good copies if the descripter area.  This message
results when I do a varyonvg rootvg.  Other messages I get while in smit:
  getlvodm:  Unable to find device if <numbers> in the Device Configuration
Database.     Have you, by chance, seen something like this?  The last
thing "Software Support" had to say to me was to pull the battry off the
NVram for at least 45 min.  and let it rebuld itself.  Any thoughts?
Just what is going to happen if I unplug that battery?  Is there any other
way to fix this?  This problem doesn't seem to interfere with the
functioning of the machine but I don't get any info on the volume group
(lsvg rootvg - tells me to varyon the VG and shows ????? everywhere else.)
     I talked to "Software Support about my problem...It seems
that software support is really "Software Defects Support".  Once they
decided my problems were not "defects" they told me to call my local
SE and/or CE.  Unfortunatly my SE is really a marketing rep and is little
help when it comes to problems.     Thanks for any suggestions!

TTFN

--
  Dave Beedle                                     Office of Academic Computing
                                                     Illinois State University