"Exit" from mwm

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 26 23:47:46 AEST 1991

In article <IVAN%NEPJT.91Mar25152931 at nepjt.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ivan at nepjt.ncsu.edu (Ivan Maldonado) writes:
>In article <KQPFH0S at linac.fnal.gov> looi at sutro.SFSU.EDU (W. W. Looi) writes:
>> I'm new to AIX environment. I wonder if there is a way to "elegantly"
>> exit from mwm and return to either login or console screen without
>> resorting to CTRL-ALT-Backspace? I was told that "xstop" will do the
>> job, but I don't seem to be able to locate it. Worst yet, it's not
>> documented anywhere in the manual. *sigh*
>
>Hi, sometime a long time ago somebody showed me how to do what I think
>you need to do.  Try the following (I assume you have root privilege):
>
>look for the file /usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc
>
>Within it (near the top) you'll find a section similar to what mine
>looks like:
>
>#
># menu pane descriptions
>#
>
># Root Menu Description
>Menu RootMenu
>{
>    "Root Menu"		f.title
>    no-label		f.separator
>    "New Window"	f.exec "aixterm &"
>    "Shuffle Up"	f.circle_up
>    "Shuffle Down"	f.circle_down
>    "Refresh"		f.refresh
>    no-label		f.separator
>    "Restart..."	f.restart
>    "Quit"		f.quit_mwm
>}
>
>[ rest of file deleted ]
>
>Where you probably need to add that last line "Quit"  f.quit_mwm
>

>-Ivan Maldonado

Ivan,
  I originally thought that would work also, unfortunately f.quit_mwm
only stops the window manager...you're still in X-windows, you just don't
have MWM running anymore. I think what the orignal poster wants is something
that does the same thing as the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE combination. If f.quit_mwm
DOES do that for you, how do you have it set up? (are you disabling CTRL-etc
exit when you start X-windows?).

Also, Instead of bothering with the system.mwmrc, just have your own copy
in your root directory (mwm looks for a $HOME/.mwmrc file for initialization)

So, does anyone know of a way to get out of X-windows *without* using
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE ? (i.e. a way that can be setup as a menu item...
I KNOW you can do it with OTHER window managers (TWM)...

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|