NIS and DNS under Amix

Mic Kaczmarczik mic at emx.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 13 11:38:10 AEST 1991

Hi,

We have a 3000UX in our office for evaluation.  As part of the
evaluation, I would like to make it do the following things:

	1) Use Sun's NIS (YP) to augment the local password file with our
	workstation lab password database.  The NIS programs and libraries
	appear to be available, but when I start up ypbind and put a NIS
	``magic cookie'' at the end of /etc/passwd, programs that do password
	file lookups (e.g. echo ~mic) don't find anything that isn't in
	the local password file.

	2) Make host name lookups use the Internet Domain Name Service
	directly.  Once again, the base resolver library is there, and I
	can create /etc/resolv.conf and make nslookup work, but how do I
	make other applications use the resolver?

I'm more used to SunOS and Ultrix systems; this is the first SVR4
machine I've had a chance to work with.  Pointers to on-line or
printed documentation that indicates how to do these things (or
whether it is even possible) would be greatly appreciated.  If I'm
missing something obvious, it won't be the first time. :-)

Thanks in advance,