NIS and DNS under Amix

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Sun Apr 14 10:30:35 AEST 1991

In article <47130 at ut-emx.uucp> mic at emx.utexas.edu (Mic Kaczmarczik) writes:
>	1) Use Sun's NIS (YP) to augment the local password file with our
>	workstation lab password database.  The NIS programs and libraries
>	appear to be available, but when I start up ypbind and put a NIS
>	``magic cookie'' at the end of /etc/passwd, programs that do password
>	file lookups (e.g. echo ~mic) don't find anything that isn't in
>	the local password file.

YP does not work under the current version of Amiga Unix.  It may work
under 2.0.

>	2) Make host name lookups use the Internet Domain Name Service
>	directly.  Once again, the base resolver library is there, and I
>	can create /etc/resolv.conf and make nslookup work, but how do I
>	make other applications use the resolver?

To use DNS you must replace the socket library with the DNS shared
socket library.  This is not explained in our installation manual but
is explained in the SVR4 documentation (Network Admin Manual?).  Do
this by:

	# rm /usr/lib/libsocket.so
	# ln /usr/lib/libsockdns.so /usr/lib/libsocket.so

(libsocket.so is currently linked to libsockhost.so so you needn't
make a backup copy).

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag