UNIX/AmigaOS article in A/C Tech -- yech

"Mr. Mike" Passaretti passaret at copernicus.crd.ge.com
Wed Apr 24 22:46:36 AEST 1991

In article <20892 at cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
(Dave Haynie) writes:
#
#In article <7985 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
#(Dan Barrett) writes:
#>
#>	Have you read the article "UNIX and the Amiga:  An Introduction to
#>UNIX, for the Amiga Programmer, Part I" in Amazing Computing's Tech magazine,
#>issue #2?
#
#>	IMHO, this article is terrible.  It is riddled with errors and
#>misconceptions about UNIX.
#
#  I was under the impression that both Tech Journals, the Amazing and the
#  AmigaWorld versions, would subject any submissions to some kind of expert
#  review committee.  Sounds like they screwed the pooch on that one, at least.
#  I was persuaded to write an article for the AmigaWorld version, and it made
#  me wonder if the original premise of these magazines would really last long,
#  especially with two of them launched at basically the same time.  A good
#  portion of the people capable of writing really hard core technical articles
#  are also generally overextended as it is.
#
#  In any case, any article full of errors would be inexcusable in Amazing or
#  AmigaWorld proper.  In these new tech journals, it's worse.  I haven't seen
#  either of them yet, but if such an article made me annoyed, I would probably
#  write a colorfully angry letter back to them.

I'm doing just that for the AmigaWorld version.  I don't remember the exact
name of the article, but it was something about going to the metal for better
joystick response, and how it didn't have to make things less "friendly" or
"portable".  They supplied two example executables, one "correct" and the
other "to the metal".  They do NOT behave the same on my 3000.  The "correct"
one gives appropriate responses, and the other is just terribly confused.
Maybe I've missed something, but it seems to me that somebody ought to have
at least checked....  followups from this message are redirected to .programmer
as this has nothing to do with unix per se.

#
#>| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
#    --
#    Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

                                                        - MM

P.S. Incidentally, Dave... Thanks for the 3000.  I don't work at that level
     of design and implementation most of the time, but I can tell good design
     and appreciate it, and I do.  I can't wait 'till the developer specs
     show up so I can read about things more directly instead of using a loupe
     on the schematics in my manual and scratching my head a lot :-).

--
passaretti at crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret