Decent Unix Editors!! (one man's opinion, anyway)

Kent Paul Dolan xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Mon Apr 29 07:51:37 AEST 1991

Good to hear that there is _any_ solution, though my request for one that
can be used at edit time is still unanswered.

The more important point is still not understood, however -- no
commercial product worth its price would be released with a braindead
misfeature like the rape of the backspace key disabling "out of the box"
use of GNU emacs for much of the world, yet repeated calls over several
years to the keepers of GNU emacs have elicited no change whatever --
this bogosity is graven in stone because the keyboard of the implementer
of GNU emacs happens to have DEL where over half the keyboards in the
world have BS, and that settles the issue.

By this single example do I destroy the claim that the CopyLeft paradigm
of programming has anything useful to offer the software marketplace, and
fully defend George Harrison's right to find emacs less than ideal.

Kent, the man from xanth.
<xanthian at Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian at well.sf.ca.us>