Unix rookie questions

Jason Goldberg jason at cbmami.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 07:44:15 AEST 1991

Hi,

I have a network of A2500's and A3000's with an A3000UX as the file server,
all using CBM ethernet cards with TCP/IP software.  The unix machine has a
directory called /mnt/amiga which we use as a partition for the AmigaDos
machines.  Every time the A3000UX is booted, we need to log in and issue
the command "share /mnt/amiga", is there a file that we can add this
command to, so that it is executed each time the A3000UX is booted?

Also, occationally we have to take the A3000UX down while the AmigaDos
machines are still running.  Is there a file that is executed during
shutdown, so that we could use some rsh commands to notify the AmigaDos
machines that the net is going down?

What is the best shell to use?  I am using the borne shell now, is there
anything like TCSH included in Amiga Unix?  Whenever, I add a user as per
the Amiga Unix manual, when that user logs in they get an error message
along the lines of "unable to open /mail file" what is going wrong?

Can someone recomend a good book for me?  I need to learn the basics like
group and user ID's etc...  It appears I am the system administrator for
this network (by default)...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jason-