Unix rookie questions

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Sun Apr 28 08:31:49 AEST 1991

In article <1909cb3f.ARN0fab at cbmami.UUCP> jason at cbmami.UUCP writes:
>I have a network of A2500's and A3000's with an A3000UX as the file server,
>all using CBM ethernet cards with TCP/IP software.  The unix machine has a
>directory called /mnt/amiga which we use as a partition for the AmigaDos
>machines.  Every time the A3000UX is booted, we need to log in and issue
>the command "share /mnt/amiga", is there a file that we can add this
>command to, so that it is executed each time the A3000UX is booted?

	There should be a /etc/dfs/dfstab file, inside it put a line like:
	share -F nfs /mnt/amiga

	and then it should be exported automatically when the machine is
	brought into networking mode, init 3 I believe. This works on our
	386 R4 boxes so I'll make the leap that it'll work on Amix too.
	See "Network user's and administrator's guide; volume 1" of
	the standard R4 manual set sold at bookstores for gory details.

>What is the best shell to use?  I am using the borne shell now, is there
>anything like TCSH included in Amiga Unix?  Whenever, I add a user as per
>the Amiga Unix manual, when that user logs in they get an error message
>along the lines of "unable to open /mail file" what is going wrong?

	Just so you know, asking "What's the best shell to use?" is
	tantamount to asking "What is the worlds best editor?" As you
	can see we've wasted more bandwidth on religous blithering about
	emacs/???/vi that would have been better spent on REAL issues
	like how to get Amix 1.1 serial ser device to work right etc...
	csh,jsh and ksh all provide good interpreters and job control. Since
	you're using /bin/sh now, try jsh, the only difference is jsh provides
	interactive job control commands and functions.

>Can someone recomend a good book for me?  I need to learn the basics like
>group and user ID's etc...  It appears I am the system administrator for
>this network (by default)...

	Pick an intro to UNIX book at a bookstore and page through it, find
	the one that looks best to you and buy it. You'll also need to
	eventually get the System V Release 4 manual set, buy the members
	of the set as you need them.

	Good luck,

		-Rob

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020