Ami 3000UX and 500

Loren E. Heal heal at mrcnext.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 12 12:18:51 AEST 1991

gallo at cs.albany.edu (Andrew Gallo) writes:
>little to spend for it).  I'm also thinking of buying a low-end Ami for
>does the UX come with AmiDOS as well?

The 3000UX runs either AT&T SVR4 Unix or AmigaDos (1.3 or 2.0).
You decide at boot time which 'un you want.  I understand (from
sources close to my CBM marketing rep :-) than CBM is working on a
keyboad toggle to switch between the two on the fly.

>	Also, does anyone have experience connecting a UX to an MS-DOS PC?
>I already have an antiquated XT clone with tons of software.  I thought it
>might be nice to network it to the UX.  What is the best and most economical
>method?  Ethernet thinwire?  Null modem?

It's complicated but not impenetrable to connect a PC (either MSDOS
or Amiga or any other machine with a "standard" RS-232 port) to a
3000UX.  The process was new to me; my other machines run BSD, not
this work-alike (big grin, flames >/dev/null, etc.).

It's documented in the man pages; look under sacadm and pmadm, as
well as /etc/ttydefs, ttymon.  My machine is getting a ROM
upgrade right now, or I'd be more specific.
--
Loren E. Heal : heal at mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu, (UUCP)!uiucuxc!m.c.u.e!heal