Ami 3000UX and 500

Andrew Gallo gallo at cs.albany.edu
Fri Apr 12 10:53:13 AEST 1991

	I'm thinking of buying an Ami 3000UX (I want Unix and I have
little to spend for it).  I'm also thinking of buying a low-end Ami for
my 13 year-old sister (maybe a 500 or 2000).
	I want to have the maximum amount of transportability between the
two machines.  I understand the discussion about the UX not reading AmiDOS
disks (why should Unix understand the AmiDOS filesystem anyway...)  However,
does the UX come with AmiDOS as well?  I'd really be able to decide at
boot time wheather to use Unix or DOS, and thereby be able to share disks
with my sister's machine running DOS.  I guess the question boils down to
this - is there something so drastically different about the UX that it is
not backward compatible with the earlier models (at a hardware level, obviously
not at an OS level).
	Also, does anyone have experience connecting a UX to an MS-DOS PC?
I already have an antiquated XT clone with tons of software.  I thought it
might be nice to network it to the UX.  What is the best and most economical
method?  Ethernet thinwire?  Null modem?
	Any info on these topics is appreciated.