Problems with 3000UX. Answers anyone?

L. Scott Emmons emmonsl at athena.ecs.csus.edu
Tue Apr 30 10:21:02 AEST 1991

I've had my 3000UX for a couple of weeks now, and have been attempting to
develop some socket stuff on it, and have run into a few problems.  Following
is my list of problems (not all related to sockets) which I have run into
on the 3000UX.  If anyone can offer ideas/hints/etc I would appreciate it
greatly. Not all of these problems are due to the 3000UX, I'm sure nearly
all (if not all) are do to "user error".

One of the most annoying problems occurs when I close down a socket and the
processes associated with that socket die off.  When I try to reuse the
socket I get "address already in use" for ~15 seconds.  I found some info
(in streamio(7)) which seems to indicate that the STREAMS implementation
keeps an address blocked for this period of time.  I attempted to use the
I_SETCLITIME ioctl() to set this to the minimum value (16ms) yet this does
not work...the socket still doesn't recycle for 15 seconds.  Any ideas?
Is this something in the STREAMS implementation which does not exist in the
BSD one? I've never run into this under BSD.

I've found that /usr/ucb must be early in my path in order for gcc to work
correctly, and I have to explicitly name the libraries I need (-l socket &
-l ucb).  The explicit naming is perhaps something with Sys-V (again, the
bulk of my programming has been on BSD-derived systems).  Although the above
works, ld complains: "ld : /usr/lib/libsocket.so: warning: attempted
multiple inclusion of file".  I'm using /usr/ucb/ld, if it matters...

Sdb seems to be unable to find my source file, and it's in the current
working directory.  Yes, compiled with -g option.   Anyone build gdb for
3000UX?

Will the lack of job control in csh under X be fixed? Rather annoying.

I get i/o errors when I 'q' out of more when viewing man pages.  Maybe it
has something to do with uncompress not being happy about having the
pipeline shutdown abruptly?

No man pages on devices! What's the difference between fd0 and fd0f, anyway?
Are there plans to fix the floppy device driver and make it compatable with
anything besides other Amiga's?  I've tried dd/tar/cpio on floppies to and
from sun's and at&t 386 unix boxes...the amiga is not compatable with either
of them...bleagh!  Anyone built mtools and get it to work?

Will there be plans to ship standard, printed manual pages?  Online manual
is great, but I like 'em on paper too.  The only ones that come with the
amiga are introduction-level.

Will the 'sysadm' tools be fixed so that the screen picture of function
keys will match the physical location of them?

/usr/X/lib/fonts/75dpi is in my path, xlsfonts shows them (in a long
format), but xset won't find them.  Do some lists need to be fixed
somewhere?

And lastly, finally, can the console be set to have a particular screen
size, color, and font, like the rest of the virtual screens can? I can't
seem to make it work.

Again, thanks for any help, I appreciate it greatly!!

			L. Scott Emmons