VMS talking

Hamish Macdonald himacdon at maytag.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 12 05:11:26 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 11 Apr 91 02:45:04 GMT,
>>>>> In message <11975 at dog.ee.lbl.gov>,
>>>>> jnmoyne at lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) wrote:

Jean-Noel> One of the problems with talk is that it has a byte-order
Jean-Noel> dependency. I.e.: If your machine is a SUN (68k or SPARC
Jean-Noel> are both LO-HI (big endian)), you won't be able to talk to
Jean-Noel> let's say a VAX running Ultrix (or VMS, but with multinet).
Jean-Noel> Typically you see: Waiting for invitation on caller's
Jean-Noel> machine forever.

Are you not speaking of BSD4.2 talk (a.k.a Sun talk?).  BSD4.3 talk
has no such problems.

I can talk between 68K Suns, Sparc Suns, Sequents (i386), Vaxen,
Mipsen, Ultrix Mipsen etc. no problem with 4.3 talk.

Jean-Noel> So, if you're on a SUN you can speak to 68k based systems,
Jean-Noel> and if you're on a VAX or a DECstation you can speak to
Jean-Noel> intel based systems (and to IBM's RSs too), since
Jean-Noel> DECstations are using MIPS chips, I guess you can talk to
Jean-Noel> MIPS based systems too (haven't tried it tho).

MIPS chips can be big-endian or little-endian.  Ultrix makes them
little endian (like the VAX) and MIPS makes them big-endian.

Hamish.