Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Apr 5 04:23:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr3.231414.23689 at uvm.edu> pegram at kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
> Most all of this has been fixed now, send flames to .advocacy ok?

This isn't a flame... it's a simple statement of fact. The Atari ST was
sufficiently compelling a product that people did buy them when it looked
like the Amiga was stalled. I got an Atari ST from one such person when
he finally got an Amiga. The point I was trying to make is simply that
if Commodore hadn't shipped something there wouldn't have been *any*
market left for them to sell Amiga 1000s to.

And the phrase "victim" is entirely appropriate. My buddy and I were both
victims of the "my god, Commodore, when ARE you going to ship" syndrome.
If they hadn't shipped when they did, we'd be using TOS now.

(luckily I had little enough invested in the Atari I could get an Amiga
 without cringing)

> In
> any case, I've had to do less to my Atari to keep current than I would
> have if I had gotten a 1000 - rather a sad commentary on Atari and
> Commodore both, for different reasons.

My Amiga 1000 is still, as of today, "current". And I haven't done anything
to it. I'll have to do the first upgrade, five years later, when 2.0 comes
out. Not bad.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com