AmigaUNIX applications

Loren J. Rittle cs326ag at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 24 23:23:13 AEST 1991

I while back someone asked about available applications
that run under AmigaUNIX:
[from the latest AmigaTeX News, which I just received...]

Amiga Unix TeX available!

   Radical Eye Software has also been hard at work on
a port of TeX to Amiga Unix!  This software is now avail-
able at $300; it can be supplied on either floppy disks or a
streaming tape.  The distribution includes TeX, BibTeX,
LaTeX, SliTeX, iniTeX, METAFONT, a very nice pre-
viewer for X, printer drivers for PostScript and HP Laser-
Jet printers, full support of virtual fonts, and a myriad of
other utilities.  Many of the best features of AmigaTeX
are also in this implementation, including interprocess
communication between TeX and the previewer for on-
the-fly display of pages and automatic font generation.
Best of all is the comprehensive Radical Eye support and
update policy.
   Future releases will include drivers for a whole se-
ries of dot-matrix printers, more comprehensive graphics
support, and a more full-featured previewer.
[eot]

As a customer of AmigaTeX for the AmigaOS for over two
years, I can safely state that if Amiga Unix TeX is at
all like AmigaTeX, then it is a steal at $300.

Also of note: AmigaTeX just had a face lift that raises it
above the level of current PD versions!

Quick overview:
  ``The main treat is full PostScript support of both fonts and
graphics on any supported printer [or the screen previewer]!''
  AmigaTeX now supports TeX 3.0 and METAFONT 2.0 stantards.  The
actual versions are TeX 3.1 and METAFONT 2.7.
  All printer drivers (shipped by Radical Eye Software) now
support virtual fonts.

Loren J. Rittle
--
``The Amiga continues to amaze me--if I had not been told that this video was
  created using the Amiga and Toaster, I would not have believed it.  Even
  Loren J. Rittle  l-rittle at uiuc.edu