VMS talking

Daryl Biberdorf dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 9 05:28:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.180232.1158 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jap at convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) writes:
>In article <9104050136.AA01908 at churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu> gwaldron at GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Glenn Waldron) writes:
>>What is the equivalent to a UNIX internet "talk" command
>>using a VMS system???
>
>PHONE username
>
>But.... it does not network to unix TALK.
>It may (but I dunno) network to another PHONE over decnet.

Talk is a TCP/IP-based interactive conversation program.  PHONE is a similar
product offered by DEC for their VMS systems that uses DECnet.
DECnet and TCP/IP just don't deal with each other.

However, several companies (including Multinet and Excelan) make TCP/IP
networking products for VMS.  I know that the Multinet software comes
with a talk command as part of its included command set.  The only
gotcha is that it doesn't work with some hosts (most notably those
that run SunOS it seems).

--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu
  Texas A&M University