A3000UX applications

Travis Bissett tbissett at nstar.rn.com
Tue Apr 9 13:50:17 AEST 1991

david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

> In article <1522 at ewu.UUCP> mpierce at ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
> >I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
> >it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
> >conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI
> >compatible, and if so does that mean it will run on the A3000UX?
>
> ABI can only specify compability among Unix on processors of
> a certain family.  In this case only among 680x0 based Unix boxen.

To chip in with my $.02 worth . . . I asked the Autodesk rep at the National
Design Show in Chicago today if AutoCAD will support Unix SVr4 with the
MC68K ABI -- I specifically mentioned the HP/Apollo line, older Suns, and
(of course) the Amiga 300UX. His response was no -- Autodesk has no plans to
support unix workstations other than 386 Unix and SPARC unix, with both 386
and Sun IPC platforms being so "affordable."  Well, too bad for them!

Travis
P.S. read A3000UX -- dumb keys! ;-)

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett at nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines