A3000UX applications

David S. Herron david at twg.com
Tue Apr 9 03:49:25 AEST 1991

In article <1522 at ewu.UUCP> mpierce at ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
>I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
>it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
>conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI
>compatible, and if so does that mean it will run on the A3000UX?

ABI can only specify compability among Unix on processors of
a certain family.  In this case only among 680x0 based Unix boxen.

I don't know of many in that family which are ABI, but there probably
are a few.  You will not (obviously?) be able to take 80386 ABI
binaries over to an Amiga Unix system and do anything useful
with them...

A possible reason for the rumor floating about last fall of
discussions 'tween Sun & C= is C= wanting Amiga Unix to be
able to run SunOS binaries.  *THAT* would be *useful* ...

ABI specifies the `numbers' for the system calls & what system
calls are there & what arguments they take & such.  I suppose it
also specifies things about shared libraries and who knows what else.

	David
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david at twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david at ms.uky.edu>