Decent Unix Editors!! (one man's opinion, anyway)

George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University g_harrison at vger.nsu.edu
Wed Apr 24 07:48:03 AEST 1991

In article <CPETTERB.91Apr22112807 at mickey.glacier.sim.es.com>, cpetterb at glacier.sim.es.com (Cary Petterborg) writes:
> In article <846.280ca9ab at vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison at vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) writes:
>
>>	Does anyone know of a "decent" program (ascii) editor for Unix (SYS V REV.
>>   4).  By "decent" I mean anything that is not vi or emacs or versions thereof!
>>

> You appear to want a word processor program not a program editor.
> If you want a word processor, emacs may not be your cup of tea.  Even
> as a program editor you may not like emacs (I agree about vi).  But
> DON'T say that emacs is not a decent program editor.  Emacs, by its
> proven popularity is a decent program editor.
>
> 	In an insane society the sane man must appear insane.
>
> Unless the world is insane, you are wrong.  Maybe it is just your ignorance
> about emacs that is the problem.  Are you really a professor?  A statement
> as you made seems awfully narrow minded.
>
> My $.02 worth.

    I'll admit that my views of emacs and vi are personal, but I really don't
prefer them as editors and neither do a lot of others.  My point was not to
slam these editing environments (sorry, if it sounded like that), it was to get
some suggestions for alternatives to those of us who like to use EVE (under
VMS), WordPerfect's Program Editor, Brief, etc.

    I have received several suggestions for PD and Commercial editors.  I think
that we'll go Commercial on this as a vi-able alternative.

   Oh... ya... I am a narrow-minded (and absent-minded) professor.

> Cary
> --
> Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446
> Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.  Simulation Division   SLC, UT 84108
> UUCP: ...!uunet!sim.es.com!cpetterb  *NET: cpetterb at glacier.sim.es.com

George...

George C. Harrison
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison at vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654