Amiga Unix display modes (was Re: Amiga 3000UX, X, ...)

Joey Paris joey at well.sf.ca.us
Fri Apr 5 15:33:18 AEST 1991

Greetings...

I work for a Commodore Amiga dealer in New York City and we recently
received the Amiga 3000UX.  Setting up the Unix was quite simple and
our manager had the great idea of putting it on display in the sales pit.
As you would guess, when we were not looking, an unknowing customer made the
system reboot without doing a proper shutdown.  When we tried to get the
system running again we were greeted with a flurry of DUP errors when going
through the phase 1, 1b and 2 checks.  This was then greeted further with
the system rebooting.

I know what your saying, "Just re-install the system with the tape drive!"

Well, we tried that, using the Boot and Root disks.  And we were greeted
even further with the following:

s5mountroot VOP_OPEN error 30

PANIC: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root: errno30
Backtrace: 7C38492 7C38626 7C389A4 7C55466 7C514AC 7C00044
Kernal Root PTR: 7D15800 User Root PTR:0

Ok, so does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?  The manuals have
*NO* reference to error numbers or what to do in case of an inproper
shutdown, nor can I believe all this is happening  because of one customer
pressing the wrong buttons.  Please respond via email is you can be of
*ANY* assistance.  Thank you.