Interaction between /dev/par and /dev/ser

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Tue May 14 11:48:20 AEST 1991

rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

> 	Is there some sort of incestuous relationship betwixed /dev/par and
> 	/dev/ser?

There's not supposed to be, but there was a bug...

> 	As an aside, WHY do the two devices interact and is this quirk
> 	fixed in 2.0 like all the other annoying 1.1 problems?

As Randell speculated, some extra bits were being written to a CIA
register.  As I recall, the whole byte was being written when only 3
bits needed to be changed.
					-=] Ford [=-

"Look over there!... A dry ice		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 factory -- a good place to get		ford at amix.commodore.com
 some thinking done."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 - Talking Heads, "Cities"		ford at kenobi.commodore.com