Problem with gcc

Markus Wild wild at nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch
Wed May 22 19:35:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.045217.19569 at csusac.csus.edu> emmonsl at athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>In article <1991May19.144743.25904 at nntp-server.caltech.edu> tll at nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:
>The only way I could get socket stuff to work on my UX was to make sure that
>/usr/ucb was in the path before /usr/ccs.  Also you need to execute gcc
>thusly:
>
>	gcc -o file file.c -lsocket -lucb
>			   ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

You are asking for troubles at the moment including -lucb... Besides,
gcc normally doesn't use /usr/ucbinclude (unless you tell it with
-Iucbinclude), and if you link with -lucb you might get unexpected
results due to incompatible headers with the libraries you use. In my
experience, the less I had to use from -lucb, the higher was the chance
to get a working executable in the first run;-)
So I'd strongly plea for having /usr/ccs/bin BEFORE /usr/ucb in your
path.

-Markus

Markus M. Wild    - mwild at iiic.ethz.ch  |  wild at nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch
--
Still looking for a REAL debugger for Release 4 ...