Kernel Panics from kermit

Bernd Felsche bernie at metapro.DIALix.oz.au
Sat May 25 16:35:16 AEST 1991

In <1991May24.035949.4906 at cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
   pepers at enme3.ucalgary.ca (Brad Pepers) writes:

>It seems I've found a strange but consistent way to panic the unix kernel.
>What I am doing is using kermit. The way I can consistently do it is to
>ftp to prep.ai.mit.edu and do a ls listing on the gnu directory. Its large
>so that may have something to do with it. Everytime I do this, the kernel
>panics (tried three times). I also get other misc panics when doing other
>things in kermit but nothing I can reliably reproduce. My setup is a 3000UXD
>which pretty much everything as it was shipped (modified S70sioc for some
>overscan). My modem is a SupraModem 2400MNP. I use kermit by entering it
>with the "kermit" command and then doing the following:

>Is this a known problem? Will the 2.0 ser device fix this?

I know that our Motorola VME system crashes when (presumably) clist
over-runs on receives. Other System V.3 users report the same problem.
>From what I've read, CBM worked from an early V.4 port provided by
Motorola.

This can be allieviated somewhat by setting proper handshaking
(x-on/x-off). If the far end misses the x-off though, it's PANIC
again.

I trust that you've already mailed this report to bugs.
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sale \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337