Kernel Panics from kermit

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Mon May 27 07:11:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.035949.4906 at cpsc.ucalgary.ca> pepers at enme3.UUCP (Brad Pepers) writes:
>It seems I've found a strange but consistent way to panic the unix kernel.
[ Stuff delete ]

	Right problem, WRONGO conclution. Kermit isn't the villin here,
	Mr. /dev/term/ser is the evil perpitrator of you're kernel
	panics. cu will also tickle /dev/term/ser to panic the kernel.
	The ser driver in 1.1 needs to be taken out into a field and
	shot but I've bitched about that before so enough already.

	The workaround is to get ckermit for AmigaDOS 2.0, fetch
	the stuff under AmigaDOS, save it to floppy with BRU and then
	restore it from floppy with BRU under UNIX. Ugly yes but it works...

	The problem is that the input side of /dev/term/ser can't be
	serviced often enough so characters are dropped over 1200
	baud.

	The problem, so I'm told, is fixed in 2.0... For now, use
	AmigaDOS for serial transfers.

	By the way, you can dial into 1.1 UNIX at high speed and things
	work great. Unless you type over 1200 baud... B^). It's just
	the other way that don't work.

	Once again keeping the traffic in c.u.a up, B^),

		-Rob

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020